With customer satisfaction decreasing in the retail industry, it’s highly tempting to make sudden changes in your stores. Although, minor improvements can have significant impacts, there’s no need to fully revolutionize your stores. Rather your goal should be to make consumers loyal fans of your brand. Thus, if you do this correctly, you’ll retain current customers and gain new ones.
Tips to Increase Customer Satisfaction in Retail
Here are some valuable tips to enhance customer satisfaction in your retail business.
- Justify the Sale with Social Proof: According to recent research, most of purchases are based on emotional reasons, not rational ones. After a customer has made a purchase, they want to justify their purchase logically. They convince themselves and other people that they’ve made an intelligent decision. That’s why you should offer a printed sheet of testimonials or other social proof to help customers justify their purchasing decisions.
- Train Staff to Manage Disgruntled Customers: How you handle upset customers is vital to maintaining a successful business and expanding your referral network. At times, employees managing the initial complaint can make the customer feel valued and resolve the issue easily. For situations where this doesn’t work, the manager should be notified to deal with the customer’s issue. Remember, the goal is to make the customer feel they are valued and respected by your business.
- Give Shoppers a Gift: When you offer shoppers a surprise gift, you swiftly activate their reciprocity reflex. Such a reflex is triggered when you offer people something for free and lead them to feel obligated to do something in return. No doubt, offering gifts is a deep-rooted way to increase sales.
- Celebrate Customer Birthdays: Ever wonder if it’s important to remember your customers’ birthdays? You’ll be surprised to know it is! You can acknowledge your customers’ birthdays in three significant ways. First, you can send them a birthday card signed by you and your team. Second, send them a gift that they can collect at their next in-store visit. Lastly, send them a birthday voucher to be used on their next purchase.
- Teach Employees to Be More Service Oriented: Never make the mistake of neglecting your customer’s problems, especially when they visit your store. Be sure to train your employees in customer service techniques. This will make your customers feel valued and appreciated by your business.
Following these tips will boost your customer satisfaction ratings and grow your customer base and provide long-term sustainability to your business.